Thursday, August 4, 2011

Entering the 3D printing world

Recently I wanted to create a few prototypes of some Industrial Design project that I had in mind.

I considered printing them using a 3D printing service like "Moddler.com" or "Shapeways.com", but I would have needed several prints and as corrections arises, it would get the cost quite considerable high.

So I entered the world of 3D printers and made a research of what the market had to offer.

And I discovered the world of Repraps, a project started by the university professor of Bath (UK), Adrian Bowyer.

Here are a few of them: Mendel, Huxley, Prusa, Shapercube, MakerBot, UP, BFB.

I realised that I could build a 3D printer with about €600.00.

The quality of the prints are lower (also I must admit I saw recently some very good ones), but excellent for my prototypes.

The project consist of being able to create a 3d printer that can replicate itself (reprap), and use common industrial components, easy to find, and to keep the cost as low as possible. The Repraps use a filament of plastic (PLA or ABS (same plastic as lego)) that through a layer process builds the object, you can find an explanation from the inventor here.

As they are several derivation of the original project, I made a research of witch one gave me the best compromise with cost and quality, and I ended up choosing a Prusa. Is one of the cheapest and the quality they say is better then the makerbot, is also one of the easiest to tweak and easy to build. You can build your system completely by yourself getting the components from your local store and over the internet, or you can buy a complete kit or a ready to go out of the box via this vendors: botmill, reprapsource, xyz printers, mendel-parts, makergear.

To build it took me about a month, mainly to get hold of all the components, I would say that if I had everything handy I could build the machine in two days. I also needed to do a bit of wiring with the electronics, ad a firmware and choose a software to control the printer, getting the necessary experience took a bit of research and time, that I could have avoided if I participated to a classroom organized by the original inventor and Joseph Prusa in Bath, but I was to late and when I applied the classroom was already fully booked.

Anyhow I found a lot of help from the internet and mainly from the reprap #IRC channel where you can find many developers answering your questions.

While bulding the Prusa and looking around I discovered another project developed by the Brazilian Junior Veloso, he uses a different approach then reprap and his project is still under development, but the quality of it's prints are just stunning!He is going to bring the DIY printers to a new level. Check his blog to keep updated with his development.

Also have a look at thingiverse a library of free 3D models that you can use with your 3D printer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emiliano,

    Thanks for the mention.
    Note that BotMill 3D Printers now have a next day lead time. Place your order today and have it ship out tomorrow.

    All the best,

    BotMill Team (www.botmill.com)

    ReplyDelete